Sorrel is a leafy green vegetable that looks a lot like spinach. One of the main ingredients in sorrel is oxalic acid, which gives it its acidity and prominent taste.
- It is an extremely rich source of vitamin A, B9, and C
- It is a good source of vital minerals such as potassium, magnesium, sodium, iron, and calcium
- It contains powerful laxative properties for constipation and over consumption may result in diarrhea
- Sorrel contains nutraceleuticals that are very effective in treating and preventing a wide variety of diseases including cancer, hypertension, diabetes, and heart disease. Some of the main health benefits of sorrel concerning specific health problems are:
- Hypertension: Experts recommend drinking tea made from sorrel for blood pressure reduction, especially in patients suffering from type-2 diabetes. Studies have shown that drinking 2-3 cups of sorrel tea everyday helps in lowering the blood pressure considerably by at least 7-14mm hg. Researchers believe that the anthocyanins found in the sorrel plant are responsible for effectively reducing high blood pressure.
- Cancer: The flavonoids found in the sorrel plant are good deterrents against particular types of cancers. These flavonoids help in destroying cancer cells in the body and prevent further spread of this disease. They are also helpful in strengthening the immune system. Sheep sorrel in particular is a good natural cure for cancer. It contains oxalic acid and chlorophyll that are both effective in fighting cancer.
- Hair: Sorrel is also a good natural treatment for dry and damaged hair. It is widely used in commercial hair care products for this very reason. Experts believe that sorrel can also help control balding when applied regularly to bald patches.
- Sorrel leaves help cure gonorrhea, urinary tract infections, scurvy, chronic catarrh, and hemorrhages
- Sorrel contains powerful antioxidants that help prevent premature aging
- Sorrel leaves are dried and used for the treatment of ringworm, itchy skin, and seasonal fevers
- Sorrel tea is a natural cure for kidney stones and jaundice
- Sorrel leaf juice is applied topically for the treatment of ulcers, boils, and malignant tumors
- Sorrel is also effective in curing scorbutic and inflammatory diseases.
- It contains effective diuretic properties that help in increasing the production of urine, thereby assisting in weight loss as well.
- Sorrel has powerful detoxifying properties that help in the elimination of harmful toxins from the body that can cause a number of diseases and infections.
- It contains protocatechuic acid that helps eliminate harmful free radicals from the body.
- Sorrel also contains effective anti-bacterial properties that help prevent as well as treat a number of infections and related diseases.
- It helps strengthen the functioning of the heart and liver and fights various inflammations present in the body.
Although sorrel has a number of health benefits, it is also important to understand its risks on health. One of the biggest hazards of sorrel is that it can lead to death when eaten in large quantities, because of its high oxalic acid content. Some of its other side effects include:
- Kidney stones
- Stomach pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Skin rash
- Skin irritation
- Muscle spasms
- Liver disease
I love reading through the health section, because I learn beneficial things everyday–thanks to you:)) I will have to check up on sorrel now!
Thanks Jon! Read your blog – thanks for sharing your story too. I am sure it will help many. Take care
Thank you so much …I have sorrel growing in my garden